Whether you’ve been married for only a year or you’re approaching your twenty-fifth wedding anniversary, you must have learned one basic fact: if your wife’s not happy, then nobody’s happy. Keeping your wife happy is the secret to a happy life, and if you want to do it, you have to work on your communication skills, keep your romance alive, and understand your woman’s needs. If you want to know how to keep your wife happy, just follow these steps. They may help you out and give you a better chance in your relationship.
Keeping the Romance Alive
- Mix it up. Do something different during every date night, whether it’s checking out a new movie or going to a restaurant you’ve never been to before.
- If you’re staying in to cook, dress up just as nicely as you would if you were going out.
- Make time to talk. Activities like mini-golfing or watching movies are great, but make sure there’s a portion of the evening when you have time to just look into each other’s eyes and talk.
- Give your wife a card that tells her how much you love her during date night, even if there’s no special occasion. Every occasion with your wife should be special.
Maintain your appearance. Though it’s tempting to let your scruff grow and to lounge around the house in your workout clothes, you should try to be presentable at all times and work to maintain your handsome looks. If you two don’t care how you look anymore, then you’re slacking in the romance department.
- Unless you’re rocking a beard or some scruff, make sure to shave every day and to keep your face smooth.
- Take a shower every day and continue to smell fresh. Don’t let hygiene get in the way of you and your wife.
- Even if you’re just hanging out around the house, make an effort to wear clean and matching clothes.
- Of course, you can’t look amazing every day. You and your wife can decide on a more casual day, such as Sunday, when you can wear whatever you want, but don’t let your old ratty sweatpants become the standard.
Make time for romantic getaways. Though a romantic vacation is not a long-term solution for any problems in the romance department, taking a short getaway is a perfect way to spend time with your wife in a fresh environment and to learn to appreciate your relationship even more.
- Make a goal of going away somewhere exotic together at least once a year, if your budget allows for it. Book your trip well in advance so when the time comes, you can’t say you’re too busy as an excuse.
- Try to go to a new place every time. Not only will this keep your romance fresh, but it will also strengthen your bond when you explore the world together.
- If your budget is really tight or if it’s difficult for you to find a sitter, have a goal of at least going away from the weekend together from time to time even if you’re only going an hour’s drive away or just checking into a hotel in the closest city.
- Bring roses or other flowers home to your wife once a week and put them in a bouquet on the dining room table.
- If the two of you are just having a normal dinner or watching TV, dim the lights and light a few candles.
- If you’re just engaged in a quiet conversation, turn up some jazz or romantic music.
- Try to keep the house as clean as possible, so you’ll feel more relaxed and happy in your own environment.
- Make your bedroom a sex sanctuary. No matter how cluttered the rest of the house may be, you should keep your bedroom clean, neat, and smelling fresh at all times. Don’t use your bedroom as an office or a place to throw your dirty laundry.
Always show love and affection. If you want to maintain romance in your relationship, you should never take your wife for granted. Though you know you love her, and she should know how you feel, you still have to take the time to tell her how much you value your relationship. She’s a wife, not a psychic.
- Tell your wife that you love her every single day. No matter what.
- Take the time to not only tell your wife you love her, but tell her why you love and appreciate her so much. Remind her why she’s special.
- Don’t just be affectionate in the bedroom. Take the time to hug, caress, and kiss your wife as often as you can.
- If you’re leaving the house while she’s away or still asleep, leave a post-it note that tells her how much you love her and wish her a good day.
Maintaining Honest Communication
Stay honest and open. Honest communication is the key to any long and stable relationship. If you want to keep your wife happy, then you should always share your feelings and be happy to listen to what she has to say. You should feel comfortable sharing your feelings with your wife and being open about your thoughts, even if you have a hard time expressing them.
- If there’s something on your mind, say it. Don’t deal with a difficult situation alone.
- If you’re upset about something your wife did, bring it up. It’s better to talk about your feelings than to be passive-aggressive.
- If your wife asks you about your honest opinion about a new outfit or haircut, don’t be a fool and say she’s looked better — just tell her she looks beautiful no matter what. She obviously just wants you to confirm that she thinks she looks great.
- Time your honesty. If you have something important to say to your wife, do it when she’s relatively stress-free and can give you her time and energy.
- You may be worried over a recent flirtation with a colleague at work, but you should tell her the truth, not deal with it on your own. Open, honest communication is the key to a relationship. Your wife is your partner in life and deserves to know the whole truth about you and your activities.
Continue to compromise. Compromising is a major part of strong communication. You should be able to compromise and to make decisions as a unit instead of always looking out for yourself. You should work on being able to discuss an important decision and finding a resolution that will make you both happy.
- First, take time to listen. Each of you should say why your opinion is important to you and what it would mean to make the decision.
- Be thoughtful. You can even make a list of pros and cons when you’re making a decision together.
- Take turns compromising. Sometimes a decision will only make one person happy (such as choosing to live in one city over another), but the next time a big decision comes, make sure the other person gets his way.
- Make sure both people are actually compromising. Don’t guilt your wife into always doing what you want because you’ll be so upset if you don’t get your way.
Learn to give and accept an apology. If you really want to make your wife happy, then you should know that being happy is much more important than being right. You need to swallow your pride and step up if you’ve made a mistake, and be reasonable enough to accept your wife’s apology if she is the one who erred.
- When you apologize, be sincere. Maintain eye contact and let your wife know that you’re really sorry. She won’t accept your apology if you sound like you’re just doing it because you don’t have a choice.
- Learn to accept an apology. You can still be mad, but make it clear that you do accept your wife’s apology even though you need some time to cool off.
Staying Physically Fresh Together
Work out together. Getting your endorphins going together is a great way for you and your wife to maintain healthy bodies and to mingle your body chemistry. If you want to keep your wife happy, then take the time to work out with her or to just get some mild exercise together at least once a week.
- Train for a race together. This is a great goal that will bring you closer together as a couple, whether you’re training for a 5K or a marathon.
- Take a dance class together. This will not only boost the romance factor, but you’ll have a great time learning something new while shedding pounds.
- Go to a circuit gym together. You can keep up a conversation while burning calories.
- If you’re both not workout-aholics, take a twenty-minute walk together a few days a week, whether it’s in the morning before breakfast or after dinner.
Keep it fresh in the bedroom. If you want to keep your wife happy, then you have to keep things fresh and exciting in the bedroom. You don’t have to take a trip to the sex store to maintain and exciting and rewarding sex life.
- Make sure that you’re making love at least once a week, no matter how busy you are.
- Try to make love at a different time each day. If you only have sex in the mornings or on Wednesday evenings, your sex will feel like just another part of your routine.
- Be adventurous. Don’t be afraid to make love in new positions or in new places.
- Don’t forget to cuddle with your wife after sex and to tell her how much you love her.
Be active around the house together. Though chores are no fun, you can have more fun with your wife if you’re active around the house together instead of taking turns doing what needs to be done. This will bring you even closer together.
- If you need to fix the roof, make sure your wife is near you on the ground so you can talk while you get things done.
- If you have a garden, try planting something together. Who says gardening is woman’s work?
- Spring-clean the house together. Don’t let your wife do all the cleaning.
- Paint a new room of the house together. This is a great way to have fun and improve your home’s appearance.
Understanding Your Wife’s Needs
Be a father, not a babysitter. If you’re lucky enough to have kids, then you should try to spend as much time with them as you can, instead of waiting for your wife to get tired and then taking over. Your wife loves your kids, but she would love it if you helped out as much as you could.
- You don’t have to take turns with the kids, either. You can cement your bond by taking the kids to the park or having a family movie night together.
- If you work while your wife stays at home with the kids, try to make as much time as you can to see them when you’re home.
- Pick some weekends when you hang out with the kids to give your wife some time to rest. Motherhood is a beautiful thing, but it’s also exhausting.
Give her some space. Part of keeping your wife happy means giving her some time to herself. Though it may seem nearly impossible to give her some space when your lives are so entwined, letting her do her own thing once in a while will make you appreciate each other even more.
- Let her visit her family without you from time to time. You don’t have to be there at every single family event — unless she insists.
- Let her have a girls’ night with her friends once in a while. You don’t have to be there at every social event, either.
- Let her pursue her own hobbies and interests. You don’t have to do all of the same sports, love all of the same television shows, or read all of the same books.
Understand the difficulties of her career or occupation. Take the time to talk to your wife about her career and give her advice when necessary. Remember how hard it is to be a wife, a mother, and a career woman all at the same time.
- Let your wife vent about her job from time to time. She needs your love and support.
- If she’s having a tough week at work, you should make her lunch or drop in with some coffee, and take over the chores at home for a little while.
- If she’s a stay-at-home mom, remember that this is a full-time job too, and not an easy one. Be sympathetic to her needs and the difficulties of her daily life.