IT IS VERY IMPORTANT FOR EVERY ATHLETE TO UNDERSTAND THAT STAMINA CANNOT BE IMPROVED OVERNIGHT
Endurance and stamina are two major elements that influence the performance of an athlete. No matter how much knowledge or skill athletes possess for their sport, they need stamina to give their best performance. There is a common myth that strength and stamina are synonymous with each other. Well, strength or endurance allows an athlete to exercise harder. Stamina, on the other hand, indicates how long the athlete can work. When athletes focus on building stamina, it involves increasing efficiency of lungs, heart and muscles of the body.
It is very important for every athlete to understand that it cannot be improved overnight; it builds over time with perseverance and constant hardwork. Here are 5 tips that athletes can use to improve their stamina:
1. Cardio Workouts – Athletes follow a rigorous workout schedule to remain fit, healthy and improve their performance. They need to make sure that their work out regime involves moderate to high intensity cardio workouts. Cardio workouts will help them improve their lungs, heart and circulatory system. Choose between different workout activities and alternate between them.
2. Interval Training – Depending on their current level of fitness, athletes should alternate between medium to high intensity workouts. They can begin with 30 minute routines that are broken down into 10 minute parts. With every part, increase the intensity of the exercises.
3. Diet – Stamina building is not just about exercises, the diet of an athlete plays a pivotal role too. Athletes need to plan their diet to make sure they are eating well-balanced nutritious meals across the day. They need to include plenty of vegetables and fruits, nuts and lean proteins in their diet.
4. Fluid Intake – It is very important for athletes to stay hydrated as under hydrated muscles affect the performance. Along with drinking plenty of water, athletes can also include health friendly flavored sports drinks in their routine.
5. Rest – Though it may seem surprising but rest and sleep are equally required for stamina building. Overtraining or overexerting the body may cause more harm than benefit. Rest does not mean being irregular with your workout sessions. It indicates that you are giving your body sufficient time to become stronger and rebuild. Every athlete requires around 7 to 8 hours of sleep regularly to perform at their optimum level.
Every athlete need to have a proper physique along with a good stamina. These simple tips will help athletes boost and enhance their overall performance.
by Vadim Semjonov