Exclusive interview with Rahul Mody:
Where are you from?
– I was born and brought up in Bombay itself. I’m 26 years old. I belong to a Punjabi family who’ve been in Bombay for over 50 years now so our mother tongue is Hindi
Have you ever lived away from Mumbai? How many years have you completed in the film industry?
– I’ve never lived away from Mumbai. I’ll complete 6 years in the film industry in February 2016. Before that, I was studying Producing in Whistling Woods for 1 year in 2009. I joined the first part of Pyaar Ka Punchnama as an intern. But luckily, when I had joined the team, there were just 3 of us; Director Luv Ranjan, Producer Abhishek Pathak, and me who were working in the office. I joined few days before the rest of the team so I got to do a lot of work and was soon promoted to Second Assistant Director. After this, I did Luv sir’s second film AkaashVani as Associate Director.
When did you decide to start writing movie story or script?
– I had originally planned to pursue a career in production. That was the plan even after Pyaar Ka Punchnama. But somewhere in the making of AkaashVani, I realized I was more creatively inclined towards dialogues and actors’ performances and nuances. This was noticed even by Luv sir and we had a conversation about this wherein he pushed me to start thinking creatively and towards becoming a writer and eventually director. I think I’ve been very very lucky because its not very often that a director takes interest in an assistant’s career. After AkaashVani, Luv sir called me to write the sequel of Pyaar Ka Punchnama and I knew this was it.
Have you tried any other profession in this film industry?
– Like I said, I originally planned to get into production and become a producer.
What were your expectations while writing the script? Did you presume the movie would be a hit again?
– Pyaar Ka Punchnama was a cult hit. I’ve yet to come across a young person who hasn’t LOVED the film. And I knew what a big role the writing played in it’s success. So I was very nervous but Luv sir showed faith in me when even I wasn’t sure. All I wanted at that time was to not let him and the Pyaar Ka Punchnama franchise down.
Have you been through the same thing in real life ?
– I think we all HAVE, ARE, and WILL keep going through the same thing in real life.
Was this your 1st break you got as co-writer in movie ?
– First break. I’ve co-written the film with Tarun Jain and Director Luv Ranjan
When is your next movie coming which will be written by you?
– Very soon. You can expect more young, content driven films from us.
What is the most attractive thing to you ?
– Currently it’s the audience reactions. I just can’t stop going to theaters to see how people are reacting to our work. It’s the best feeling. I was out for a movie with my girlfriend recently but was so restless that I got up with the excuse of using the washroom and sneaked into the other screen where Pyaar Ka Punchnama 2 was playing. She knew where to find me. You can imagine what Punchnama must’ve happened after that.
What is your message to our Be Attractive team ?
– You guys are doing a great job of delivering the most relevant, most interesting articles for the youth. You’re in my bookmarks tab, Cheers!